How to Choose a Mattress
At Sprout, we strongly believe that if there is one item you should have be organic in your nursery, it should be your crib mattress. Babies can spend 16 hours a day in their cribs, and traditional mattresses can release potentially toxic chemicals into the air and your baby’s lungs. Mattresses are usually made of polyurethane foam which can break down and release VOCs. This foam is also highly flammable, so it is usually sprayed with flame retardant chemicals that you may not want your infant exposed to. Organic mattresses are made of cotton instead of foam and are made flame retardant using wool, latex, or baking soda. The great news is that there are a wide range of organic options for any budget and preference of firmness or materials. Here we help you sort through the options available to for you:
These are the options you will need to consider…
- Plastic – Many of our mattresses use a food grade plastic (with no BPA, PVC, or phthalates) to make the mattress waterproof. The Naturepedic mattresses are covered in organic cotton, brushed with a layer of food grade plastic. If you would like to avoid plastic altogether, the Naturepedic quilted mattress and the Nook Pebble do not contain any plastic.
- Allergens – Some people are allergic to wool and latex. If you are fearful of these allergies, you may want to opt for a Naturepedic mattress which uses baking soda instead of wool and latex, as its flame retardant.
- Firmness – SIDS guidelines warn parents to have their babies sleep on a firm surface. The Naturepedic 150 coil mattresses are very firm, but for an extra level of firmness, choose a Naturepedic mattress with 252 coils instead.
- Seams – Some of our mattresses have seams around the edges, however you may want to opt for a seamless mattress from Naturepedic or Nook. Without seams, there will be less of an opportunity for the mattress to collect dust and allergens.
- Two sided – If you believe you will convert your crib into a toddler bed and use your mattress for a number of years, you may want to opt for a dual sided mattress, with the firmer side used for an infant and a less firm or even quilted side used to provide greater comfort to a toddler.
Here are 3 of are most suggested mattresses to help narrow it down. If…
You are shopping on a budget:
We understand how expensive preparing for a baby is. If you are on a strict budget our most recommended mattress option is the Naturepedic Classic 150 Coil Waterproof Mattress.
With 150 metal coils it is firm enough for baby yet cozy enough for toddler. This mattress' ingredients consist of metal coils, organic cotton, polyethylene food grade plastic (used for the waterproofing), baking soda and hydrated silica used as the natural flame retardant. The seamless version of this mattress is our best seller.
You want an adult-like and cozy baby mattress:
The 2 in 1 Waterproof and Quilted Organic Crib Mattress is for the parents who would like both a firm mattress for their infant and a mattress for the toddler stage that is more similar to the quilted mattress they sleep on. Also made by Naturepedic, this mattress has all of the same ingredients as the 150 coil classic, but has a higher coil count and less plastic. Use the firm, waterproof side for the infant, and then flip it over to the quilted, non-waterproof side for a toddler.
You prefer waterproof without any plastic:
If you are looking for an all organic mattress and would prefer to not have any plastic coating, the Nook Pebble Pure is the mattress for you. This mattress uses a coconut and latex core rather than metal coils as the springs. Also, instead of using the food grade plastic for water proofing, the Nook mattress uses fibers with nano-technology that prevent liquids from seeping into the mattress for easy-wipe clean up and the option to machine wash the cover. The pebble wrap acts as the mattress pad protector and has pebble like cushions, which help create air flow.
All Options (arranged by price - low to high): $259-$399
Organic Cotton Classic 150 Coils Traditional Edge – The least expensive option, this has a regular seemed edge and 150 coils.
Organic Cotton Classic 150 Coils Seamless - Our most popular choice, this mattress has a seamless edge to avoid dust and allergens.
Organic Cotton Classic Seamless Dual Firmness - Seamless edge and firmer on one side than the other, so that the mattress can be slightly softer for a toddler bed.
Organic Cotton Classic 252 Coils Traditional Edge – With 252 coils, this is an even firmer mattress than the 150 coils mattresses.
Organic Cotton Ultra 252 Coils Seamless - 252 coils with a seamless edge to avoid dust and allergens.
Organic Cotton Ultra Seamless Dual Firmness - A firmer mattress and firmer on one side than the other, so that the mattress can be slightly softer for a toddler bed.
Organic Cotton Quilted Deluxe - All organic cotton with 252 coils and not waterproof. The most adult-like mattress we offer without any polyethylene coating for waterproofing. We recommend customers use a waterproof pad with this mattress. The perfect option if you would like only organic cotton and metal coils in your mattress.
2 in 1 Waterproof and Quilted - This mattress features a firm and waterproof side for infants with a cover made of 100% organic cotton and brushed with the polyethylene waterproof coating. The softer side for toddlers features a quilted organic cotton cover for a more mature mattress surface resembling a conventional adult mattress. Please note that this side is not waterproof and we recommend using a waterproof pad.
Pebble Organic- This organic mattress is manufactured by Nook. They use eucalyptus fibers, an all-natural latex core, and organic wool as the flame retardant. The Pebble Wrap uses nanotechnology to make it water resistant, and the baby can lay directly on it. Its surface is specially designed to increase airflow.
To see all Sprout’s mattress options, click here or contact your local store where we will be happy to walk you through this.