At Sprout, we strongly believe that if there is one item you should have be organic in your nursery, it should be your crib mattress. Babies can spend 16 hours a day in their cribs, and traditional mattresses can release potentially toxic chemicals into the air and your baby’s lungs. Mattresses are usually made of polyurethane foam which can break down and release VOCs. This foam is also highly flammable, so it is usually sprayed with flame retardant chemicals that you may not want your infant exposed to. Organic mattresses are made of cotton instead of foam and are made flame retardant using wool, latex, or baking soda. The great news is that there are a wide range of organic options for any budget and preference of firmness or materials. Here we help you sort through the options available to for you:
Here are the main points you’ll want to consider when choosing an organic crib mattress…
- Plastic – Many of our mattresses use a food grade plastic (with no BPA, PVC, or phthalates) to make the mattress waterproof. The Naturepedic mattresses are covered in organic cotton, brushed with a layer of food-grade plastic. If you would like to avoid plastic altogether, chose the Naturepedic Cotton Quilted Delux 252 or the Nook Pebble Pure.
- Allergens – Some people are allergic to wool and latex. If you are fearful of these allergies, you may want to opt for a Naturepedic mattress which uses baking soda as its flame retardant, instead of wool and natural latex.
- Firmness – SIDS guidelines warn parents to have their babies sleep on a firm surface. The Naturepedic 150 coil mattresses are very firm, but for an extra level of firmness, choose a Naturepedic mattress with 252 coils instead.
- Seams – Some of our mattresses have seams around the edges, however you may want to opt for a seamless mattress. Without seams, there will be less of an opportunity for the mattress to collect dust and allergens.
- Two-Sided / 2-Stage – If you believe you will convert your crib into a toddler bed and use your mattress for a number of years, you may want to opt for a dual-sided mattress, with the firmer side used for an infant and a less firm or even quilted side used to provide greater comfort to a toddler.
To help you narrow it down, these 3 are our most recommended options…
If You Are Shopping on a Budget:
The Organic Cotton Classic Crib Mattress has 150 metal coils; it is firm enough for baby, yet cozy enough for toddler. There is an option to upgrade to 252 coils. The ingredients for this waterproof mattress consist of metal coils, organic cotton, polyethylene food grade plastic (used for the waterproofing), baking soda and hydrated silica used as the natural flame retardant. (The seamless version is our best seller!)
If You Want a Cozy, Adult-Like Baby Mattress:
The Organic Cotton 2-in-1 Ultra Quilted 252 Crib Mattress is for the parents who would like both a firm mattress for their infant and a quilted mattress for the toddler stage that is similar to the mattress they sleep on. Also made by Naturepedic, this mattress has all of the same ingredients as the Classic Crib Mattress, but has a higher (252) coil count and less plastic. Use the firm, waterproof side for the infant, and then flip it over to the quilted, non-waterproof side for a toddler.
If You Prefer Waterproof Without Any Plastic:
If you are looking for an all-organic mattress and would prefer to not have any plastic coating, the Pebble Pure Crib Mattress by Nook is the mattress for you. This mattress uses a coconut and natural latex core rather than metal coils as the springs. Also, instead of using the food grade plastic for water proofing, the Nook mattress uses fibers with nano-technology that prevent liquids from seeping into the mattress for easy-wipe clean up and the option to remove and machine wash the cover. The pebble wrap acts as the mattress pad protector and has pebble like cushions, which help create air flow.
A Selection of our Most Popular Organic Crib Mattresses:
For our full range of organic mattresses, including bassinet, crib, twin, full, queen, and king, view our Mattresses & Mattress Pads section.
Lightweight Organic Cotton Classic by Naturepedic – Uses food-grade polyethylene instead of coils to save on weight without sacrificing support. Seamless edges. 2-Stage option available.
Organic Cotton Classic by Naturepedic – This has a regular, seamed edge and the choice between 150 or 252 coils.
Organic Cotton Classic Seamless by Naturepedic– This has a seamless edge to avoid dust & allergens. 150 coils. 2-Stage option available.
Lightweight Organic Cotton Ultra 2-Stage by Naturepedic – A step up from the Lightweight Classic. Uses food-grade polyethylene instead of coils to save on weight without sacrificing support. Seamless edges. 2-Stage as standard.
Organic Cotton Ultra Seamless by Naturepedic – A step up from the Classic Seamless. Seamless edges. 252 coils. 2-Stage option available.
Pebble Pure by Nook – Eucalyptus fibers, coconut fibers coated in all-natural latex is used instead of coils for the core, and organic wool make it naturally flame retardant. The cover uses nano-technology to make it water resistant, and increase airflow. The baby can lay directly on it. Available in a variety of colors. Seamless edges.
Organic Cotton 2-in-1 Ultra Quilted 252 by Naturepedic – 2-Stages; the firmer waterproof side for infants has a cover brushed with a polyethylene waterproof coating. The toddler side is softer and features a quilted cover resembling a conventional adult mattress. Please note, this side is not waterproof, we recommend using a waterproof pad. 252 coils.
Organic Cotton Quilted Deluxe 252 by Naturepedic – The most adult-like mattress we offer without any polyethylene coating for waterproofing. We recommend a waterproof pad with this mattress. The perfect option if you would like only organic cotton and metal coils in your mattress. 252 coils.
See all our Mattresses & Mattress Pads or contact your local store where we will be happy to walk you through this.